Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Alcohol Consumption : How Badly Can It Affect ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Alcohol Consumption : How Badly Can It Affect ME / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? by Claire Williams, editor of sleepydust.net :

The wonders of alcohol.

The achilles heel for many people. The 'norm' for some others. And probably poison if you have ME / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ...

I remember when I first got Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS /CFIDS) back in 1995, I thought that having a drink or two wouldn't affect me any differently to my pre-PVFS days. Unfortunately I didn't realize what I was doing to myself.

I didn't know how badly alcohol consumption can affect the severity of Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS /CFIDS) ...

Nowadays I don't touch alcohol at all, and haven't done so for a few years now. I'd rather see at least a few hours in the day instead of being bedridden for weeks on end because of one alcoholic drink!

Because when you have ME/CFS /CFIDS , you might as well be pouring arsenic down your throat...

------SIDE NOTE-------

Okay - so that comparison might be a little 'dramatic', but you get what I mean right?

-----SIDE NOTE-------

You see when you have ME/CFS /CFIDS , you are likely to develop **alcohol intolerance**...

The smallest alcoholic drink - even a tiny bit of alcohol consumption, can send you into a relapse - as I learned the hard way many years ago.

Having an alcoholic drink now and again was enough to tip the severity of my PVFS (ME/CFS) over the edge and put me in bed indefinitely.

When a **normal** person gets drunk they may feel ill for a day or so after which, they're back to 'normal', bouncing back and raring to go. But when a person with ME/CFS gets drunk - or even has just one drink, they're likely to feel like 'death warmed up' for what seems like an eternity!!!

Personally, I don't actually like alcohol much so I don't miss it. But even if I did, I have realized that alcohol consumption no longer makes me feel the way it used to before I had ME/CFS ...

Drinking alcohol now feels like I'm feeding myself poison, and my body reacts accordingly - i.e. a flare, or worse, a relapse - and I suffer the consequences for a long, long time afterwards.

Unfortunately, most of us ME/CFS sufferers are just not strong enough to resist the poisons of alcohol.

So for most of us, it's unfortunately a case of accepting it, or getting much, much worse.

As Dr Shepherd writes in his book 'Living With M.E.', many people who might have been able to drink alcohol before the onset of their illness, often find themselves getting very unwell even after small amounts of alcohol consumption .

So if you have ME/CFS, it is likely that you may have developed an intolerance to alcohol.

To find out more about diet and nutrition for ME/CFS visit:

http://www.sleepydust.net/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-nutrition-supplements.html

And to read reviews of my favorite supplements & items for ME / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome visit:

http://www.sleepydust.net/ME-CFS.html

This article will be continued in Part II...

Copyright, Claire Williams, 2003-2005. All Rights Reserved.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had EBV about 3 yrs ago,ever since then i can not stand a hangover i get so sick with dizziness and all i want to do it fall asleep to get over the pain of the hangover.the problem is i feel not a 100% all week when i dont have a drink and the only way to escape the thought and the feeling of M.E is to have a beer but this is a cycle of destruction.
i feel like iam the only one feeling like this!i got to work 60 hrs a week the at the end of the week i want to have a good time with my mates but only to find myself having a beer with them.what gets me down is the constant blocked nose and the brain fogs which control my life at the moment and no one understands.thanks for listening Craig (australia)

May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home